Raspberry, Lemon & Yogurt Tea loaf
Because raspberry and lemon is such a fantastic flavour combination this tea loaf if a real success with our guests – and us. Shamelessly nabbed from ‘Yeo Valley Family Farm, The Great Britisih Farmhouse Cookbook‘ by Sarah Mayor, it is a recipe to make over and over and no one will mind.
Makes one 1kg loaf
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
115g soft butter
225g caster sugar
finely grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
2 large free-range eggs
100g wholemilk natural yogurt
25g ground almonds
200g fresh raspberries
100g granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180C / Gas 4. Grease & line a 900g loaf tin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the lemon zest.
- Beat in one egg at a time. Add a spoonful of flourmix with the second egg.
- Mix in the flour and yogurt, and finally the almonds.
- Spoon a third of the mixture into the loaf tin, scatter with a third of the raspberries. Repeat twice more, ending with a layer of raspberries (I give them a little push into the mixture).
- Bake for 45-50 mins until nicely browned.
- Cover the cake loosely with foil and bake for a further 20-25 mins, until a skewer when inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 mins. Meanwhile, mix the granulated sugar and lemon juice together. Spoon mixture over the cake and allow to soak in for 5 mins.
- Carefuly remove the cake from the tin, it can crumble, and allow to cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with extra sugar.